Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A Cool Buddies Snowy Scene

Hello!! As you know, Christmas and winter cards are my favorite cards to create! They just make me so happy! We have literally had record breaking temperatures here in PA and I thought that I could will some fall weather by creating this wintery scene!




So cute, right!! I started by stamping and coloring a whole bunch of of the little critters from the Create a Smile Cool Buddies stamp set. I used a mix of Spectrum Noir and Copic markers. I am a firm believer in using whatever supplies you have to bring a card together!




I used my Simon Says Stamp stitched rectangles to die cut some pieces of watercolor paper. I used the largest rectangle and the 3rd largest rectangle. After die cutting the 3rd largest rectangle I grabbed my MFT Stitched Snowdrifts Dies and die cut some hills. I wanted to do some ink blending to create the look of hills in the foreground. For the first hill I used Studio Calico's Glass Slipper ink and for the background hill I used Mint Hint ink also from Studio Calico. I used an ink blending tool just like you would with Distress Inks.

I wanted the hills to look like they were covered in snow, so I took my Versamark ink pad and just rubbed my ink pad directly onto my pieces of inked watercolor paper. I sprinkled on some Zing! white embossing powder and heat set the powder. Immediately after the powder was melted I dunked my hill into some glitter embossing powder and then heat set that over top of the white powder. This gave me the shimmery snow look that I wanted!




I wanted a blue sky behind my snowy hills, so I die cut another piece of watercolor cardstock and used some Salty Ocean and Chipped Sapphire Distress Inks to create my sky. I thought some snowflakes would look just wonderful in my background, so I used my Simon Says Stamp Falling Snowflakes stencil and some white Gesso from Ranger. While that was drying I thought I would create a frame that would pop around my scene. I used some Festive Berries Distress Ink and then I spritzed the piece with some water mixed with Perfect Pearls to give it some shimmer.




I wanted to add a sentiment, so I trimmed a piece of cardstock to a banner and then distressed over the top with some Salty Ocean Distress Ink to match my sky background and then stamped my sentiment over top. I adhered all of my pieces together, popping up the first hill to give some dimension, and added my cool buddies to my scene.

What do you think? Leave me some feedback in the comments! I thought about doing my very first Periscope on the snowy hills technique. Would you guys like that?

I'll see you next time!!


No comments:

Post a Comment