Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Spring ( it's got to be coming soon! !)

Hello! It's been so cold here in PA! I keep thinking it has to be almost over! I'm usually a lover of the cold, but I can't wait for a warm up! Not too warm...right around 50 degrees is ideal weather for me, but -14 degrees is so cold!

I thought I'd use my new Simon Says Stamp stitched rectangle dies and some spring-y products to make a quick card. I used the Spring die from Paper Sushi for Studio Calico and the Umbrella paper pad from American crafts. Here we go!




I started by picking out 6 pieces of paper that I thought went well together. I chose all of the patterns from the Umbrella paper pad from AC. I love choosing papers from a 6x6 pad because I know that all of the patterns will go together! I wanted to have a balance of purples and pinks and yellows, but I loved the light blue bunny paper, so that just had to go into the mix! I used washi tape to hold together all 6 of the stitched rectangle dies from Simon Says Stamp and then cut out rectangles from each of the patterns of paper.

I held all of the dies together because I wanted to have 6 sizes of frames to piece together. This way all of the rectangles lie within each other rather than having 6 pieces of paper stacked on top of each other. Also, this allowed me to create 6 different cards from 6 pieces of paper. In addition to this, putting all of the dies together gave me the cool stitched edges on the outside and inside of the papers.




After I die cut the rectangles I die cut the word "spring" using a die from Paper Sushi for Studio Calico. I just love the scripty font! I die cut the word six times from Neenah 110 lb cardstock. This gave my die cut some extra dimension, but not so much that it can't go through the mail. The die cut is really delicate. You have to be sure to keep the dot for the "i". You can leave it off or use an enamel dot, but I really like the complete look I got by using the paper dot for the "i".




I thought the card needed a little something more, so I twirled some white thread around and then added Tombow Mono Multi glue to the back of my die cut. This glue holds down the die and the thread.

You may notice that on this last card I didn't adhere the die completely straight. I'm okay with it thought. I didn't realize it until after the glue had dried and I didn't want to damage the card by trying to peel off the die cut. It messes with my OCD a bit, but I know my family loves when I send them cards and they know they're handmade. If anything goes askew they just attribute it to the artistic process! :)

Thanks for popping in to read this quick post! I'll see you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment