Saturday, February 21, 2015

Donut Stop Believing!

Hello, crafty friends! I just had a birthday, and I was lucky enough to receive a giftcard to Simon Says Stamp! Woo hoo! So I purchased some of the things I've been wanting - the I Love Donuts stamp set, SSS Stitched Rectangles, and the Tiny Spaced Hearts stencil. I used all of them for this card!

I want to mention that I copied Laura Bassen's technique for the background. Head over to her blog and watch the video of how she used the stencil!




I started by die cutting a piece of Neenah cardstock using the largest stitched rectangle die. I masked off a little rectangle area where I wanted to stamp my sentiment with a scrap piece of cardstock. Then I taped off those stitched edges with painter's tape and I also covered my panel with the stencil and taped it down onto my work surface. I worked on top of the Ranger Craft Mat and smooshed various colors of Distress Inks (Picked Raspberry, Peacock Feathers, Spiced Marmalade, and Seedless Preserves) onto the mat. Then I mixed in some of my homemade embossing paste into the colors and covered the stencil with the paste. As with any time you're working with paste, be sure to wash off the stencil immediately before it completely dries.

I stamped my sentiment in the masked off area with Versafine black ink and sprinkled on some sparkle embossing powder. I love that added bit of shine! I added the stitched panel onto some yellow and blue cardstock and used tape runner adhesive to add the pieces to a Neenah top folding card.




And now on my donuts! They are stamped in Memento ink and colored with Spectrum Noir markers. The actual donut parts are EB1 and EB2. The pink donut is FS6, PP1, and PP3, the chocolate is TN7, TN8, and EB5. For the vanilla donut I used a tiny bit of IG1 and then used the blender pen to blend out the color.

I wanted to add some white elements onto the donuts, so I used white embossing powder to add sprinkles to the pink donut and some icing to the chocolate donut. Then I added chocolate sprinkles to the tiny donut with Studio Calico's Doc Brown ink. I used scissors to fussy cut them out, but you could use circle dies. I just wanted to eliminate the white edge my dies would have given me.




A quick coating of the Wink of Stella clear glitter pen added enough glitter to match the sentiment. I used various thicknesses of foam tape to add my donuts to my card.

Here's the video!





And just for the fun of it...I made another donut card using the same basic layout!




This time I just sponged the Distress inks directly onto my card base. I changed up the sentiments and the donut colors and rounded the corners of my card! I adhered the donuts directly to the card base, so this one can go through the mail just a little bit easier!




Because I didn't mix the ink with embossing paste, the colors are much more vibrant. Which one do you like better?

Thanks for joining me! See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment